How to choose an argumentative essay topic?
Having the freedom to choose a topic is what every student wants. At some point, you just want to write something you really want to discuss. When the time comes many students feel nervous and aren’t sure what topic to go for. Don’t worry; it’s perfectly okay to be nervous.
In order to choose an argumentative essay topic on your own, try to follow these tips:
- Hot topic – the easiest way to choose an argumentative essay topic is to take a look at news websites and other web portals. There’s always one (or more) hot topic you can discuss
- Passion – each individual is passionate about something. Take a few moments to think about your passions, write them down, and decide which one you’ll discuss in an argumentative essay
- Don’t play it safe – a common mistake that many students repeat is playing it safe all the time. Once you sharpen the essay writing skills feel free to dip your toes outside the comfort zone. For example, you can discuss topics that seem controversial, not just those that everyone else writes about
- Make it specific – choosing an area of interest e.g. abortion is one thing, but your topic shouldn’t be that vague. Abortion is a broad term with plenty of things to discuss. If you don’t make the topic precise, the entire writing process will get frustrating. For example, you can choose to write about the future of abortion among young adults under Trump administration
- Debatable – the whole point of the argumentative essay is to take a stand and defend your argument. That means the topic should be debatable, not a generally accepted fact
- Related to the class/lecture – yet another easy way to choose a topic is to write about a subject that is related to your class or lecture. That way you can demonstrate your knowledge of the subject and let your professor (or teacher) know you’re passionate about it
Good Argumentative Essay Topics
Here are some topics suggestions you should consider:
- Should teenagers be required to obtain parents’ permission to use contraceptives?
- Are athletes overpaid?
- Is the use of animals for research purposes justified?
- Scientists cloned monkeys; are humans next? Is human cloning ethical?
- Should social media platforms regulate comments more thoroughly?
- Is gun control an effective method of reducing crime rates?
- Homeschooling prevents children to adopt various social skills
- Violence in the media makes children violent
- Does the existence of the Electoral College undermine the freedom of the American people to choose the leader they want?
- Are beauty pageants exploitive?
- Should prisoners be allowed to vote?
- Should college tuition be more affordable?
- Should surgeries and medications for all diseases be free for everyone?
- Are schools and teachers responsible for low test scores and bad grades?
- Abortion should be illegal because it’s murder
- Abortion should be legal: women have the right to do with their body what they want
- Anti-smoking campaigns are ineffective
- Are law enforcement cameras a violation of public privacy
- Are online product reviews trustworthy
- Can hybrid cars save our planet
- Democrats would have won the US election if Hillary Clinton weren’t their candidate
- Did Shakespeare plagiarize his most popular works?
- Do men and women need equal pay if males work more days on average than female workers?
- Has diplomatic immunity been abused
- Is China ahead economy and technology-wise compared to the US
- Is it time to change Miranda laws
- Is privacy more important than national security
- Should the electoral process in the US change
- Should medical treatments be free for all
- Sibling bullying leads to psychotic disorders
Legal argumentative essay topics
- At what age should girls have access to birth control without the consent of their parents?
- Do the benefits of medical marijuana justify its legality?
- Does outlawing controlled substances only create a larger black market?
- Does the US law system offer enough protection for victims of domestic abuse?
- Does Trump’s refusal to take refugees deny basic human rights to people in need?
- In what situations, if any, does a woman have a right to an abortion?
- Is the drinking age appropriate (should it be lower, higher, or stay the same)?
- Is the process of electoral vote fair?
- Online abuse – should court treat it as any other kind of abuse?
- Should cigarettes and other tobacco products be outlawed?
- Should corporations be granted personhood?
- Should the death penalty be abolished?
- Should nuclear weapons be outlawed worldwide?
- Should prostitution be legal?
- Should the United States put more restrictions on gun ownership and use?
Interesting argumentative essay topics
- At what age should children be allowed to own a smartphone
- Helicopter parenting harms the kids
- Does the media invent scandals to frighten the public
- Should TV shows and movies be more diverse
- Lack of bias in the media associated with fake news
- Are teens too exposed to sex-related content on TV
- What we can learn from video games
- Do immigrants need more rights
- Can a woman and a man be just friends
- Should Dreamers be allowed to stay in the US
- The wall on the border with Mexico won’t fix anything
- Should the UK return ancient artifacts to Egypt
- Are drug tests at work a violation of privacy
- Cloning of both humans and animals is unethical
- Should prostitution be legal
Ethical argumentative essay topics
Here are some topic ideas:
- Are atheists less moral than theists?
- Are members of oppressed minority groups kept back by policies which encourage them to see cultures foreign to themselves as innately superior?
- Are nude photographs appropriate in museums that are open to the public?
- Are parents overexposing their children online?
- Do patients have a right to die via physician-assisted suicide?
- Do pre-employment drug tests infringe on personal privacy rights?
- Does freedom of speech give people the right to use hate speech?
- Is animal testing necessary?
- Is death penalty right or wrong?
- Is human reproductive cloning morally acceptable?
- Should children’s beauty pageants be banned?
- Should consumers buy items from countries that endorse child labor?
- Should hunting with the sole purpose to entertain be banned?
- Should schools and businesses give more incentives for people to do volunteer work?
Social argumentative essay topics
Social topics can refer to just about anything, here are some examples:
- Are tattoos acceptable at the workplace?
- At what age should citizens be allowed to vote in the United States?
- Can heterosexual men and women truly be friends with no hopes or expectations of anything more?
- Can online dating replace meeting a person in real life?
- Do prisoners deserve the right to vote?
- Excessive alcohol consumption in minors – does it stem from too much freedom and lack of parental control?
- In what case(s) could it be considered fair for a company to not hire a candidate who smokes cigarettes?
- Is education in the US failing teenagers across the nation? Too much pressure, expensive college enrollment, bullying – what can be done?
- Is there too much pressure on teenagers to go to college?
- Most prisoners released on parole return to prison within 12 months – is it the system’s failure?
- Should more rights be given to immigrants?
- Should the United States make English the official national language?
- Should there be a legal curfew for minors?
- Should women wear less revealing clothing in order to curb men’s catcalling?
- Why online dating websites should be responsible for rapes and murders committed by members who are registered sex offenders
Advertising and media argumentative essay topics
Advertising and media evolved dramatically during the last few decades thus posing as an endless source of essay topics. Below, you can see some title ideas:
- Are public service announcements effective?
- Do journalists have a duty to eliminate as much bias as possible?
- Do teenagers drink and smoke because advertisements make them think it is “cool” to do so?
- Do TV shows and movies have the responsibility of being more diverse?
- How “fake news” trend changes political and social life?
- How do reality shows impact society?
- In what situations should advertisements for alcohol and tobacco products be allowed?
- Is it acceptable for companies to advertise in schools?
- Is print advertising obsolete?
- Sex and violence on TV – how do they change us?
- Should news shows talk about celebrities?
- Should sex be allowed to be portrayed on prime-time television?
- Should warnings and side effects be made more clear in advertisements?
- Spikes in violence on TV co-occur with violence on the streets – what can be done?
- Where should networks draw the line for violence on television?
Argumentative essay topics by level:
Topics for middle school
- American football is boring with its stop-and-play game style
- Can video games improve our cognitive skills?
- Cheating means a student is resourceful
- Do children really need a healthy diet?
- Do students need a cash reward for good grades?
- Do violent video games promote violence in reality?
- Does TV have any educational value
- Electronic vs. paper books: will the latter be extinct in a few years?
- Graffiti: art or vandalism?
- Is cheating during exams wrong?
- Is having too much money a bad thing?
- Is there anything we can learn from reality TV shows
- Should cigarette smoking be banned?
- When is the right time for children to start making their own decisions?
- Why media should boycott Kardashians
Topics for high school
- Are athletes overpaid?
- Are we too exposed to commercials?
- Atheism: is it still a kind of religion?
- Both religion and politics try to control people
- Do students really need homework
- Does karma exist
- Does sex education really help teenagers
- Have we become “technological zombies”
- Is it necessary to build a career before getting married
- Is pregnancy at 20 too early
- Is social media stealing childhood
- Should athletes be educated?
- The role of education in the modern world
- The role of music in the development of personality
- Why lottery is a hazardous game
College argumentative essay topics
- The American educational system is deeply flawed
- Could Donald Trump-approved websites be fake news
- Divorce has positive sides too
- Do the benefits of marijuana overrule the risks
- Do schools hand out too many A’s
- Is the death penalty justified
- News media is too biased
- People should read more books
- The representation of women in video games needs to change
- Schools are giving students too many standardized tests
- Should academic success be the primary factor to consider in college admission
- Should parents be held accountable if a minor commits a crime
- Voting is not important
- When does freedom of speech turn into hate speech
- When is it justifiable to take military force against another nation
Stuck on Your Argumentative Essay?
Check out these example persuasive essays.
Family argumentative essay topics
Here are some ideas:
- At what age should parents talk to their children about sex?
- Do children deserve/need an allowance?
- Is a child’s room really theirs, or is it their parents?
- Is it acceptable for women to breastfeed in public?
- Is it okay for parents to monitor teens’ internet use?
- Should all people who want to have kids undergo a psychological evaluation prior to conceiving?
- Should parenting classes be compulsory?
- Should parents be able to spank their children?
- Should parents buy presents for kids to motivate them to study and do their homework?
- Should parents pay children for good grades?
- Should parents push their children to do things they don’t want?
- Should parents push their kids into extracurricular activities such as music or sports?
- Should single people be able to adopt children as easily as couples?
- Staying married for the sake of children only harms them, why?
- Why does helicopter parenting never work?
- Why should all kids have certain chores on a daily basis?
- Firstborn children are smarter than their younger siblings
- How to annoy your parents
- How to know if a politician is telling the truth
- How to pretend you are working
- How to tell a “white lie” and get away with it
- Organic foods are not healthier than regular items
- Stereotypes are good for us
- What if that royalty from Nigeria that shows up in your email inbox is real
- What would happen if cats ruled the world
- Where do all mismatched socks go
- Why advertising works
- Why I should have been the only child
- Why standardized tests are the best
- Why the clothes really do make the man
- Why do you, actually, love spam email
Don’t have enough time to write an essay on your own? Or maybe you need help with a certain aspect of argumentative essay writing? We’ve got you covered. Here are different ways you can get help with this assignment.
Essay topic generator
There is no need to waste hours trying to come up with an interesting topic when you can use Edusson Magic Help to find a perfect title. All you have to do is to enter a keyword and press enter. Plus, you can click on the category of your interest or search by alphabet. It’s that easy!
In order to assess your strengths and weaknesses adequately, it’s always practical to read someone else’s paper. Why? As you read and observe how a writer developed the argument, you recognize both good and bad sides of their essay. Later, you transmit this knowledge to your own writing process. Edusson’s Magic Help has a number of argumentative essay examples that you can use to get motivated, learn, and practice.
Finished writing your essay? If you are the DIY type of person, then you probably want to evaluate the paper and correct mistakes on your own. RobotDon can help you with that. The cute, hard-working robot runs a detailed analysis of the paper and displays plagiarism score, sentence structure, readability, word use, and other factors that play a role in the quality of your essay.
Essay writing service
If you don’t have enough time to write an argumentative essay on your own (or you need a custom-made example), that’s not a problem. Edusson’s writers can do it for you. Just create your order, check bids, and choose ideal writer. All our writers are highly skilled, educated, and ready to write the essay based on your needs and preferences.
Essay editing service
Need someone to evaluate your paper objectively and correct your mistakes? Say no more, Edusson also gathers a team of editors and proofreaders who ensure your essay is 100% essay free. They go beyond correcting spelling and grammar errors but also focus on sentence structure, references, style, formatting, argument strength, evidence, and much more.