What is a cause and effect essay?
A cause and effect essay is a kind of academic writing where writers must determine the cause and effect of different actions, situations, and phenomenon. It usually has a standard 5-paragraph structure and requires students to involve their analytical skills in writing. Teachers of different subjects can assign cause and effect essay writing because this kind of work is a good evaluation of material awareness and critical skills of students.
Cause and effect essay have several sub-types. For example, the essay can be focused only on highlighting of causes of some phenomenon. Or, on the contrary, the aim of the essay may be to determine the effects of certain events. And, of course, there are essay topics that oblige writer to examine both causes and effects of the of the phenomenon. All these cause and effect essay topic subcategories you can meet in your institution. So, if your home task is to complete an essay of this type, you must come up with original and effective ideas of topics.
Why is it necessary to choose a really good topic?
It is a common fact, that to write a successful essay that will deserve the highest grades, students must be well-motivated to write it. The source of essay writing motivation is in the personal interest of the student in the chosen topic of research. Even if it is a small piece of writing, if you stuck on topic choice, or have a negative attitude to it, the process of paper completion will be challenging and unpleasant. To make a time spent on cause and effect paper writing an enjoyable process and get the high mark you must select that most appealing topic for you.
How to use these topic ideas?
Before you start working on cause and effect essay outline the first thing you must do is to choose a winning topic. At our website, we present top ideas for cause and effect essay topics. For your convenience, we have divided them into thematic subgroups. So, find a general theme (we provide 10 general topics below) and pick up the topic that will be the most appealing for you! The preparations of cause and effect paper have never been so simple before!
You can take the whole example of cause and effect essay writing ideas and develop it in your paper. It is also possible to take our topic and rewrite it to fit your task. Use the topics below to fight with creativity block during your work on cause and effect essay
Topic Ideas: Relationships and family
1. What causes people to cheat on each their partners.
2. Effects of living together before the marriage.
3. Long-term effects of growing up with a single parent.
4. What is the effect of family vacations on family relationships?
5. What are causes of destructive relationships between siblings?
Topic Ideas: Environment
1. What is the most dangerous factor that affects the world climate changes today?
2. Has human curiosity had an overall positive or negative effect on the planet?
3. What effect did human curiosity in relation to our planet?
4. What are causes of environmental catastrophes?
5. What could be the effects of global warming on the planet?
Topic Ideas: Social issues
1. What impact does frequent violence (either from war or street violence) have on a community?
2. What effect makes social networks on real life communications?
3. What are the causes of poverty in megalopolises?
4. How lack of freedom can effect on the society?
5. What are the effects of living in poor housing?
Topic Ideas: Technology
1. Effects of modern technological progress on children.
2. What impact has the internet on youth?
3. What are effects of using modern technologies during the class work?
4. How technology development affects on the state of nature?
5. What are causes of technological advancements in Japan?
Topic Ideas: Education
1. What are causes and effects of changing a major in the middle of the studies?
2. What makes a person be an excellent student?
3. The causes and effects of an exam failure.
4. The cause and effects of cheating at the exams.
5. What are the effects of student involvement into extra-curricular activities?
Topic Ideas: Psychology
1. Why has depression become one of the most wide-spread illnesses?
2. What makes a person have a good mood?
3. The effects of stress on students who both study and work.
4. Why is good mental health no less important than physical well-being?
5. What are causes and effects of having an empathy?
Topic Ideas: Health
1. How does a person’s diet affect his or her health?
2. Causes and effects of vaccination in teenage age.
3. Effects of having smallpox in adult age.
4. What are causes of long-term smoking?
5. What are the causes and effect of insomnia during exam week?
Topic Ideas: Food
1. Cause and effects of eating seafood.
2. Effects of eating only vegetarian food.
3. Why is it dangerous to eat in cheap fast food restaurants?
4. Effects of eating genetically modified foods.
5. What are the typical causes of loss of appetite?
Topic Ideas: Sport
1. How regular workout improves the productivity of a person?
2. Causes and effects of skipping physical education lessons in school.
3. What are effects of doing sports professionally?
4. Causes and effects of sports violence.
5. What effect does doing extreme sports have?
Topic Ideas: Culture
1. What is the reason of popularity of movies based on comic books?
2. How listening to favorite music affect the person?
3. Why are summer music festivals so popular among youth?
4. How free music downloading effects the artist
5. What are long-term effects of video games playing addiction?
I have selected a cause and effect essay topic. What's next?
After you selected a topic for cause and effect essay you can start working on its outline. Brainstorm your thoughts on the issue and make a plan of your paper. Look at the sample below to see how can you embody your ideas in certain structure:
Example of cause and effect essay
What are causes of long-term smoking?
The damaging effect of smoking on human health is known among all the people. But they still don't give up this harmful habit. The reasons that tie people with smoking even harder than with other people. What are the reasons for such long-term addiction? Why is it so hard to give doing such harmful thing?
The prevailing number of current smokers started doing it in the high school or early student years. They smoked their first cigarette in the circle of group-mates to become a part of their community or simply to try something new. As in most countries, smoking is forbidden for people under 18 or 21 years old, the fact that you smoke was a sign of being an adult. They don't remember that adult habits are a result of adult problems.
Another weighty argument of beginning to smoke is to try something new. Everybody usually wonders, if something becomes so popular, what is the reason of it? The best way to check it is to try it yourself. So, after people try cigarettes there are two ways. To continue doing it and experience a tiny feeling of tightness or to realize that this is a purposeless activity and never continue doing it.
Why do people continue smoking for years? It is true that smoking gives a feeling of pleasure. But with a pleasure, it gives a nicotine addiction too. There are two types of smokers: those who do it rarely, and those who smoke nearly a pack of cigarettes a day. The first type does it to reduce stresses after critical situations. Also, they do it to make the moment of pleasure more fulfilling. Talking about smokers who go for a smoke break at least every hour, they have got used to it so much, so they don't experience such relaxation as rare smokers. But they need to do it to satisfy the nicotine thirst of their organism. On such level of smoking addiction, it is extremely hard to give up, but there are many cases of successful farewell with smoking even after years of addiction.
To sum up, it is important to note that reasons of long terms smoking addiction take their roots mostly in student years. People start to smoke to get new experience and to find a way to reduce stresses and feel relaxed. Consequently, those who have been smoking for years start to experience nicotine addiction, so they must supply their organism with cigarette smoke to fulfill the feeling of starvation.