Modern medicine suggests us a lot of different innovations and solutions for most serious diseases. But still, we have enough cases when everything is far too complicated or has too many contradictions: cancer, euthanasia, difficult cases of disability, birth defects, mental illnesses, and, unfortunately, the list goes on and on. This is the reality of our era of high-tech and cosmic dreams – we still can’t cope with ourselves. So, both students of health care programs, as well as students of any other specialty, can have a task to write an essay on a health topic. In this article, we will help you to find the most burning health issues to make your essay topic powerful and impressive.
Stuck on Your Health Essay?
Check out these example health essays.
How to Choose a Health Essay Topic?
Of course, if you were given a clear task to write on a particular topic you won’t have to wreck your brains in search of something exciting and crucial to dwell on. There is no need in making a decision, which health problem or phenomena is more urgent at the moment or what is left in the shadows and needs to be enlightened at least in your essay.
In such a case, you can just relax, take things easy, and search for some info on the Internet or in books, and then have a rest. But if the situation is contrary, you will have to gather all your essay ideas and look through either one or two essay hook examples. The path of free choice is rather slippery, so be careful on your way. Bring together your forces and all your writing inspiration; the road may take some hours (or even days, ha-ha). And these next essay hacks are just for you.
So how do you think, what are the most popular essay topics concerning health nowadays? What do we face in everyday life? What do you hear on the radio or TV? What haunts us permanently? Maybe you already have a generalized idea of what to write in your mind, and the following will help you to concentrate on some particular thought or maybe change your decision. Now, let’s distinguish some of the health essay topics one by one.
Winning Health Essay Topics
We all know that in our time the number of people who forgo meat and products of animal origin is steadily increasing, and so the number of places with strictly vegetarian and vegan food is growing, too. Everyone has their reasons and basis for such a decision – it can be simple sympathy to animals or problems with the stomach and digestion. Someone takes it as for granted, someone is categorical and adverse. But still, the question of life without meat is very popular and debated. Here more topics related to this theme:
- Pros of Being Vegetarian;
- Vegetarian and Vegan: the Peculiarities of Nutrition and the Potential Impact on Health;
- Negative Effects of Meat-free Nutrition;
- Healing Consequences of Being a Vegan;
- Compare and Contrast Meat and Plantpacked Food;
- Being a Vegetarian: Compare and Contrast Changes Before and After;
Anorexia and Overweight
Coming back to the subject of food one can’t forget about such devastating and scary phenomena of modernity as anorexia and overweight. These two are really dangerous because if they don’t cause death – they cause irreparable harm to health. One way or another it is no good at all. By the way, this question covers not only the problems of normal and healthy nutrition; it has a psychological and emotional background. This case has a lot of things to talk about, and topics to write about:
- Causes of Eating Disorders and Obesity;
- How to manage Anorexia and Bulimia Nervosa;
- The Effect of Feminism on Anorexic Women Phenomenon;
- Effects of Eating Disorders on Self-Harm Behavior;
- How to help Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia;
- The Cult of Thinness in American Contemporary Culture;
Our high-speed lifestyle impacts us in many ways, and insomnia is one of the main effects of it. Nowadays it is a very burning issue because many people can’t sleep without watching movies or surfing the Web from their smartphones or just thinking thoughts through. Some even don’t decide insomnia as illness and its influence on vital activity has unforeseen and painful consequences. The following topics cover different issues concerning insomnia:
- What are the Causes and Effects of Insomnia;
- Insomnia and How to Put Up With It;
- Effects of Exam Preparation on Healthy Sleep;
- Sleeping pills: Placebo, Harm, or The Cure?
- How to Fight with Insomnia Using Traditional Medicine;
- Causes of Long-term Insomnia;
Such health essay topic as mental diseases has been discussed for a long time and from different points of view. Here you can analyze different phobias, obsessions, addictions and furthermore – whatever you like and find interesting (because being interested in your topic – is half of success). Let the following essay help topics:
- How to Understand and Manage a Bipolar Disorder;
- Psychological Treatment of Bipolar Disorder;
- Effects of Cognitive Therapy for Mental Disorders;
- Compare and Contrast Mental Disorder in Childhood and Early Adolescence;
- The Effect of Antidepressants In Dealing with Depression;
- How Child Abuse Trauma Affects The Development of Dissociative Disorders;
Health Care Service
One of the most critical issues concerning health is the cost of it. Nowadays there are ways to get free treatment as well as the paid. However, there are pitfalls in both options. Really, what’s the truth? Is it better to spend amounts of money and feel safe or to spend nothing and have doubts about the quality of treatment? I think the opinions here sharply vary, so consider these topics to research the issue:
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Paid and Free Treatment;
- Health Care: Should It Be For Free or Should We Pay For Our Treatment?
- Pros and Cons of Health Insurance;
- The Effects of Self-treatment: A Way to Harm or a Chance to Heal?
- Compare and Contrast Essay on Public and Private Hospitals;
- The True Cost of Free Health Care Services;
The question of euthanasia always has been a great contradiction all over the world. Some cultures are rigorously against it; some do not actually mind such merciful death for the weak. And nobody has a clear opinion about it. The situation is quite similar to the question of the death penalty, but the main difference is in the roles of the subjects: the perpetrator and the victim of a serious illness. Who deserves such a relief as death? And does deserve it at all? If you have your strong ideas about it, pick a topic and develop them:
- Can Death Be a Relief for a Patient?
- Americans’ Attitudes toward Euthanasia and Physician-Assisted Suicide;
- Does Patients Have a Natural Right to Die;
- The Moral Issues of Euthanasia;
- Pros and Cons of Euthanasia;
- Compare and Contrast the Attitude to Euthanasia in Different Countries;
Processing Your Health Essay
When you have finally chosen the essay topic, it’s high time to make an essay outline and decide what essay form you will use. I am almost sure that you already know that there are a lot of different writing styles and while writing on health topics you confidently can write a cause and effect or argumentative essay – these two types may suit very well. But of course, you are to write whatever you like and whatever you find convenient. Here are some more essay hacks, which I find helpful according to my experience:
- Essay editing is an important part of essay writing, so be attentive and careful while writing, checking and even double-checking your piece. If something feels wrong or not in the right place – find it and make it better. I bet 99% that you will deal with it, even if you are writing an essay for the first time in your life.
- Writing hooks can be excellent friends of yours, so don’t neglect to spend some time in search of examples. This can facilitate your further work and make your life a bit easier. Look through several of them to have a clearer idea of what to do and what to not. Analyze, analyze and once more – analyze.
- Pay extra attention to your essay conclusion. It is an integral part of every essay because here you should summarize everything from the above in other words, much shorter and sometimes even deeper. It takes some time to master the skill of “good conclusion”, but it is definitely okay if you won’t write it on the Nobel Prize level.
- Take short breaks during the writing if it’s possible. Give yourself some rest and time to think over your ideas, or just have another cup of tea. Don’t put all your strengths to waste at once – remember that you should be even much more concentrated when editing your essay than when writing the main sketch.
- Don’t force yourself to write something if you can’t find appropriate words and thoughts. It’s too obvious when a person writes something just from some need but not his own desire. So I repeat – be interested in what you’re writing about. At least you may try.
A Small Afterword
Well, I hope I hadn’t overloaded you with all that information, and it wasn’t a kind of a trial for you to read all that stuff. And of course I do hope that at least some pieces of this writing guide had served you well. It doesn’t really matter if you’ve just chosen a topic by this moment or already have written an essay – if you’ve found something important for yourself in this article I can be completely glad and satisfied with my job. And what about you? Have you succeeded in your health essay writing? Somehow, I’m sure in it.