Education is an important aspect of our lives; it gives us knowledge of the world around us and changes it into something better. As a student, you learn how to use your education to achieve your goals and succeed on a personal and professional level.
Although stages of higher education are different, they have one thing in common – to advance to the next stage your admission package needs to include a well-written statement of purpose. Scroll down to see how to write this essay and impress every admission committee.
Table of Contents
- Statement of Purpose: Definition
- Types of Statement of Purpose
- Writing a Statement of Purpose for Grad School
- Statement of Purpose Examples
- Sample Statement of Purpose
- Statement of Purpose Editing
Statement of Purpose: Definition
To truly impress every admission officer, your statement of purpose has to be impeccable. It’s not just enough to follow format rules and word count or to say why you’re passionate etc. The paper also has to be error-free and should be on an academic level. Editing your SoP isn’t the easiest thing in the world because it’s difficult to find and correct mistakes in your own work.
Let’s not forget that you always have doubts whether you did something wrong or if you should delete some parts.This essay is too important to do it on your own. Now that you’ve written your SoP, you should get editing help from professionals.Edusson’s editors and proofreaders have reviewed and corrected thousands of application essays, and they can help you too. Save $20 on editing and submit your SoP right now.
Types of Statement of Purpose
Colleges and universities provide application material with detailed requirements. Your statement of purpose has to meet the provided criteria in order to be taken into consideration by the committee. This means your application essay will need to meet a specific word count and formatting requirements, but successful completion of this task also lies in knowing the difference between different types of SoP.
The personal statement can be divided into several categories depending on the program you want to enroll or the purpose of writing such a statement.
Statement of Interest for Grad School
Personal statements for graduate school are very different from the essay you have to submit when you’re just starting the college education. At that point, the student lacks the experience to focus on academic results and other important facts and personal statements usually revolve around their vision of the world. The admission essays for grad school are more complex.
Throughout this paper, an applicant should describe reasons for applying to the proposed program and his/her preparation for this field of study. In addition, students should also include research and study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of background and interests that could help the admission committee evaluate one’s aptitude and motivation for the graduate program.
Statement of Intent / Letter of Intent
A statement of intent is required with applications to graduate school in an academic subject e.g. Ph.D. in Chemistry or M.A. in Economics. It’s a common misconception that a letter of intent is just another expression for a personal statement. The statement of intent communicates your research interests and career goals. The paper requires an applicant to describe the subject area of interest, what he/she intends to research within the program, and academic/research experiences.
Personal statement has a similar goal, to help the committee understand why you’re the perfect candidate, but it uses a combination of personal and educational experiences to prove the point.
PhD Statement of Purpose
The Ph.D. statement of purpose provides additional info on applicant’s academic background, motivations for undertaking postgraduate research, and relevant experiences. Bearing in mind the Ph.D. is the highest academic achievement, by the time they reach this level, students gain necessary experience that allows them to focus primarily on their work and academic/research results.
It’s similar to SoP for grad school but involves more info previous projects and an applicant has to describe the goal of his/her further research.
Writing a Statement of Purpose for Grad School
The grad school SoP is your first contact with the admission committee and it’s important to make it stand out. The importance of this essay probably makes you nervous and you’re not sure how to write it in a manner that will impress admission officers. Tips found below will help you.
How to write a good Statement of Purpose
- Avoid including unnecessary information and irrelevant details from personal life
- Instead of mentioning facts one after another, include them through a story, let admission committee understand your knowledge, intellect, and other qualities
- Quantify results and accomplishments, avoid vague expressions
- Be specific and on point, avoid wateriness or text fluffing
- Use a formal, but conversational tone
- Decide how you want to portray yourself or message you want to convey, and make sure information you enter helps you do that
- Be yourself, don’t exaggerate anything
- Focus on your strengths
- Avoid finding excuses for your weaknesses and try not to use a SoP to explain why you didn’t achieve something
- Don’t use same statement for every application
- Show why you belong to a specific program rather than asking or pleading committee to accept your application
- Avoid using vocabulary you don’t understand
- Demonstrate your personal and professional growth through different stages of education and explain how the next step can help you achieve even more
- Revise, edit, and proofread
What to include in a Statement of Purpose
Your SoP should include:
- Inspiration or motivation to pursue a specific program
- Life experiences which contributed to your interest or career in specific field (but don’t overdo it)
- Research, internship, volunteer work, or other activities related to your field where you participated
- Specific information about courses and professors in the courses you’ve already taken
- Detailed description of both short- and long-term goals
- Description of way(s) the specific program will help you achieve academic and career goals
How to start a Statement of Purpose
You want to start writing your SoP, but can’t think of anything? Beginnings are always the most difficult parts of the process. When ideas start flowing, it gets easier to finalize your essay. These tips will help you get started:
- Have a clearly thought-out goal – when you’re about to write your SoP, the most important thing is to have a clear goal regarding your education, career, and what do you want to achieve with the specific program. Without a defined goal, it becomes difficult to describe why you applied
- Write down your reasons for enrolling into the program – take a piece of paper and write your motivation or other reasons why you think a specific graduate program will help you accomplish your goals. It’s important to write stuff down so you don’t forget them later on Research – it’s always essential, regardless of the type of paper you’re writing. Now that you’ve defined goals and reasons, you can start researching. There are plenty of things you can research e.g. the university itself, a program, professors, your field of education, current developments regarding your academic and career interests etc.
- Research is great for generating ideas and it helps you write a well-informed paper
- Start writing – you can choose to write the first draft on your computer or a blank piece of paper. Don’t pay attention to sentence structures and other factors. Just write down everything that comes to your mind. Once you’re done, read it again and polish it to meet requirements and eliminate mistakes or unnecessary parts
- Make sure your introduction is strong to grab a reader’s attention
How long should a Statement of Purpose be
The length of the statement of purpose varies from one college or university to another. Generally, applicants are required to submit SoPs that are between 500 and 1000 words long. In the section with requirements, you’ll also get format rules to follow e.g. single-space, 12 font. It’s very important to stick to the recommended word count and avoid writing more or less than required.
Do you need help with your statement of purpose?
Top essay writers can help you!
Statement of Purpose Examples
In some cases, the application material provides a question you should answer through your SoP, while in many instances students have the liberty to create their own from scratch. It can be a problem to figure out what to write about and these examples can help.
Grad School Statement of Purpose Examples
- Why do you want to study at graduate school?
- Why did you choose this program?
- Why did you choose this particular college?
- How much and what kind of experience you have in this field?
- What you plan to do with your degree after graduation?
- What are your expectations from the graduate program and the university?
Letter of Intent Examples
- What do you plan to do, professionally, with this degree?
- Why are you applying to this program?
- How has your academic or work experience prepared you to enter this program?
Statement of Intent Examples
- What are your research goals?
- What are your career goals?
- How can this program help you achieve career goals?
- Description of previous research projects and how they influenced your decision to apply to this program
- How can this program help you overcome obstacles you came across in previous research projects?
Sample Statement of Purpose
My interest in branding derives from a number of factors, including the fact that branding is a broader term than we realize, my university studies, my work experience, and traveling to different locations. We tend to assume brand is associated with companies only, but it can apply to everything. It is simple, the way you present yourself and what message you send to others can be considered as a form of branding.
I have seen firsthand how important brands are to modern companies and how different cultures have an entirely different opinion or understanding of some specific brand. I realized that brands are not just strategies that companies use to sell products and services. Branding means that everything deserves to have a name, to be recognized, and send the most positive message to others.
Although well-known, branding is largely misunderstood and my goal is to investigate everything it entails, but that is only possible with a well-structured management program. It is due to my desire to further the knowledge of branding that I am inspired to apply to the MSc Brand Management program. I have acquired work experience in brand development and marketing. Working in this field has created a solid foundation where I can build my knowledge.
Reasons I applied to this specific program include the fact it is ranked among the best business schools on the market, it utilizes the latest strategies and approaches to ensure students’ knowledge is up to date, and it helps students easily glide into the competitive business world. The program is challenging, it helps students think outside the box, and my previous academic and work experience has prepared me for every challenge of joining this study program. I held numerous professional positions while at the university and I also worked as an Assistant Manager at a Los Angeles-based retail company. My role was to monitor whether other employees comply with the company’s marketing strategy, oversee the implementation of sales goals, and submit reports to my supervisors on a regular basis.
The environment was competitive and fast-paced, but it was also an eye-opening experience. This job position made me more independent, helped me understand my skills and develop new ones, and it showed me how marketing trends quickly change and affect brand or the way people perceive it. I am an ambitious individual by nature and always strive to evolve and improve myself. We live in a busy world where being able to keep up with different standards is crucial for success. Marketing and branding are the same.
Specializing in branding will also allow me to explore my creativity and push the boundaries. After completing my master’s degree, it is my goal to use all the knowledge I have gained to help brands, both big and small, promote themselves in the best possible manner.
In addition, I want to help people reinvent themselves and achieve success in their new or existing career.
Statement of Purpose Editing and Writing Service
To truly impress every admission officer, your statement of purpose has to be impeccable. It’s not just enough to follow format rules and word count or to say why you’re passionate etc. The paper also has to be error-free and should be on an academic level.
Editing your SoP isn’t the easiest thing in the world because it’s difficult to find and correct mistakes in your own work. Let’s not forget that you always have doubts whether you did something wrong or if you should delete some parts.
This essay is too important to do it on your own. Now that you’ve written your SoP, you should get editing service from professionals. Edusson’s scope of work includes: essay writing service as well as editors and proofreaders that have reviewed and corrected thousands of application essays, and they can help you too. Save $20 on editing and submit your SoP right now.
Things you will improve through Statement of Purpose Editing
- Statement of purpose meets all the requirements and is written according to the latest standards
- Academic level writing
- 24/7 service allows you to stay in control of the entire process
- Your own writing skills will improve too Unlimited revisions
- Perfect grammar
- No typos
The Best Articles from Edusson
The Edusson email digest is a weekly summary of the most popular and inspiring essay-related content. We curate the best so you can stay continually informed.