The purpose of a proposal essay is to propose an idea and provide evidence or arguments to convince readers why an idea is good or bad. Consider yourself as a salesperson; your goal is to convince the customer why to buy a car, jewelry, or some product. In this case, the product is your idea and the customer is the professor. If you have never worked on a proposal essay before, you might feel insecure thinking there’s no way to pull it off. Not so fast! With a few ideas and simple strategy tips, you can complete this assignment successfully. Also, you can find college essay ideas on our site! So, let’s start!
Your Proposal Essay Should Contain
To create a high-quality proposal essay every time, you just have to follow the simple outline that revolves around:
- Introduction – provides background information and important details the reader should know before you move on to the other parts. The introduction has to catch the reader’s attention, make him/her want to read the paper. Let’s not forget the last sentence of the introduction accounts for a thesis statement.
- Proposal – a statement of purpose. Generally, this is a brief section that informs the reader about your proposal i.e. the idea you want him/her to adopt. Make sure this section does not contain details about how you plan to carry out the proposal.
- Plan of action – here, your job is to explain how you plan to achieve the proposal. What will you do to show your reader why your proposal is valid? This is the section where you have to convince the reader to agree with your ideas. For every plan of action or evidence, use a separate paragraph.
- Conclusion – summarize the key points in a conclusion and include a call-to-action, if applicable. Make sure you don’t include new information into the conclusion because you would have to elaborate it thoroughly, and there’s no room for that in a paragraph-length section.
struggle as possible.
Tips for Proposal Essay
Carry out thorough research to find as many details as possible
- Support all your claims i.e. ideas with evidence
- Use only relevant sources, avoid blog posts and websites that aren’t credible
- Cite all the sources you use to avoid plagiarism
- Demonstrate your vocabulary skills and avoid overusing some words
- Avoid slang and informal speech
- Instead of including a bunch of ideas that are poorly discussed, stick to 3-5 ideas that you will develop thoroughly
But what happens when a professor allows you to choose the title for a proposal essay? What to do then?
Not to worry, you’ll find some amazing ideas below.
100 Best Proposal Essay Ideas
Writing a proposal essay is not as hard as it may sound, it doesn’t matter how your professor or teacher describes it. Researching and choosing an interesting topic is the main point of writing an essay. You’ll easily find something suitable for yourself with the list of topics below, arranged for our readers by category.
The topic of education carries a lot of problems and solutions, old ideas conflict new ones. Someone may try and give more possibilities and chances to students; others focus on treating teachers well. You’re free to choose your side and explore these topics.
- How can educational television shows about science receive more funding and airtime?
- Why are foreign languages in school important for our education?
- What can be done to improve student’s reading comprehension instead of calling words aloud without understanding them?
- The most successful inventors were known as wrong-thinkers at school. Later they were acknowledged as risk-taking pioneers. So should a teacher give students the chance of failing and learn by making mistakes?
- The current student grading system is flawed, but it can be fixed with these methods
- How should students be graded?
- How can parents, teachers, and society at large encourage more children to pursue an education in science?
- How can teachers improve sex education courses?
- How can teachers spot signs of bullying in their classes?
- In what ways can foreign language courses be improved?
“Healthy mind in a healthy body.” It’s not a coincidence we always hear this phrase, as it is one of the most powerful quotes of all time. With chain restaurants growing and teenagers starting to drink or smoke earlier, writing an essay about health is a powerful move.
- In what ways can we reduce childhood obesity?
- How can parents make sure their children adopt healthy life values?
- How to reduce the rates of smoking among adolescents?
- How can the country ensure adequate health care coverage for all citizens without exceptions?
- How can be kids be persuaded not to experiment with drugs?
- Can antidepressant use enhance suicidal behaviors? Should it be limited or banned?
- What should be done to increase the funding for cancer research?
- What is the best way to prevent deaths from drunk driving?
- The risks of birth defects are significantly higher in test-tube babies. Should couples adopt children instead of having in-vitro fertilization?
- What would be an effective program to curb illegal drug use?
These topics may become the closest as you are a student. They will be the easiest to write and you might even use your personal experience in the process. Raise issues that your peers can relate to, and your proposal will be successful.
- What can be done to create a more well-rounded curriculum for middle and high school students?
- What are the measures to reduce alcohol use among adolescents?
- How can parents encourage their children to do more extracurricular activities?
- How can kids with divorced parents be counseled to do well in school, build successful lives and marriages, and have strong relationships?
- How can parents help children avoid or deal with bullying in school?
- How can parents protect their children from peer pressure?
- What is the best way to teach children responsibility?
- What is the most effective way to discipline a child?
- What can teachers do to establish a balance between engaging students and letting them overtake their authority and influence among students?
- What is the best way to impose and improve parental involvement in childhood education?
Environmental problems are discussed everywhere nowadays making this list the most interesting for the current audience. You can include a huge amount of recent research, creating a well-thought essay.
- What can the average person do to combat global climate change? What can the government do?
- To change the world you have to change yourself. What can you do to help the environment?
- Should animal exploitation by the dairy and meat industries be banned? Is veganism the only way to protect animal rights?
- What can be done for obsolete lifestyles?
- What can we do to reduce the risk of teen pregnancies?
- What improvements have to be made regarding sex education courses to decrease the rate of teen pregnancies?
- While vegans require others to respect their choices, why can’t they respect someone else’s? What strategies can help solve this issue?
- Should dog bite laws be more specific? For example, should pit bulls be banned, or should more attention be paid to the education of dog owners instead?
- What is the best solution for the problem of plastic bags?
- How can countries embrace the use of bicycles for short journeys?
The use of technology and the Internet has had a huge influence on society and the modern generation, making it the most progressive so far. Topics regarding this matter can differ, giving a student a wide range to choose from.
- How can people reduce their dependence on technology?
- How should children be taught about responsible Internet use?
- How to protect yourself and your identity from online theft.
- In what ways can companies and consumers keep sensitive information more secure online?
- How can parents and teachers effectively help eliminate cyber-bullying?
- Issues with cyber-crime and how it can be prevented.
- Are technology changes in our libraries effective for student research?
- Is wireless technology more cost-effective?
- Do you think teachers over-rely on technology in the US?
- Is technology advancing at a high rate and harming society?
We’re touching something close to the health topic. Sport is a huge part of modern life, controversies and drama nowadays provides a topic to discuss for every fan.
- Should college athletes be paid? How can colleges better handle the combination of education, athletics, and business?
- How can coaches take encouragement to a whole new level for athletes?
- How can coaches and players talk to the media after losing a game?
- Should the use of steroids be legalized and monetized instead of being prohibited?
- Can the media do a better job at covering sports on television? If so, which sports should be shared?
- Should it be mandatory that players chosen for a team prepare themselves for possible injuries in the future and inability to play? How about retirement?
- Should hunting in all forms be prohibited by law?
- Should extreme activities for entertainment be banned?
- Benefits that daily exercise and sports bring to adolescents with physical or emotional challenges. How different activities (fitness, swimming, running, etc.) influence adolescents’ mood?
- Cybersport: can experienced gamers be considered professional athletes?
Topics of culture don’t just touch on modern living or traditions. It’s fair to include bullying, discrimination, tolerance, and bigger problems like racism or fascism. You need to be careful, as all these topics are quite sensitive.
- Bread and circus culture versus traditional family values.
- Different things parents can do to ensure their child treats others with respect.
- How can parents raise their children to have a sense of humility as opposed to entitlement?
- How can the government or society as a whole reduce homelessness in the United States?
- How can the government reduce the rates of discriminatory behavior toward ethnic minorities?
- How can we promote more tolerant behavior within US society?
- Lack of tolerance leads to erratic, racist, and fascistic behavior. Different measures to put a stop to those actions
- Risky behaviors are celebrated while morality is considered outdated and unacceptable. How to change things around?
- So many experts and so much bad behavior among children these days. Measures to take to turn things around
- What can be done about the decline of morality in the media?
We can for sure say that business culture is overtaking the world today, bringing lots of issues and concerns into everyday life as well as creating false expectations. Everyone is involved in business already, whether you’re a businessman with a huge factory or just a customer at your local grocery shop.
- What initiatives should be implemented to protect small businesses from economic problems?
- What are the solutions to the erosion of trust contribution to the decline of the American business sector?
- How to support local businesses and prevent them from being destroyed by huge chains.
- Should the customer have the right to report mistreatment of companies lying to consumers?
- What can be done to solve the problem of unemployment?
- What is the most effective way for parents to teach their children about money?
- What steps should be taken from restraining qualified teachers from leaving the teaching profession?
- Employees should have the right to use their private emails at work. Should the emails remain private?
- What is the solution of unemployment among the youth?
- Does bankruptcy have to be an option?
Your exclusive point of view on historical background is something worth telling. You can find something interesting in the list below or customize the topics for your own taste, making it about your country or city.
- How did strong female leaders such as Jeanne d’Arc impact the development of society?
- An introduction to the Paleolithic Age: the development of society, fishing, hunting and gathering, and scavenging
- A list of the most significant historical events that shaped modern society.
- Would the possible outcome of WWII be better had the opposing side won?
- How did the abolition of slavery influence the US? Did its influence differ from other countries?
- What is the impact of Karl Marx on society? How were his writings abused in a variety of nominally communist parties, movements, uprisings, and nations?
- What are the events that led to the fall of the Roman Empire?
- Did the hippie culture of the 1960s normalize drug usage all over the world?
- The impact of gender roles of Roman society.
Choose topics that are most appropriate for the country you’re currently living. You can explore the issue of improving the political situation in your city; try to create a new revolutionary idea and get people interested in it.
- What measures to introduce to avoid the next economic crisis?
- What could be done to make the electoral system more effective?
- What can be done to prevent other countries and parties from interfering in US elections?
- Does espionage law violate free speech? Should it be banned or improved?
- How can the government better handle illegal immigration?
- How can the government make programs such as welfare, Medicaid, and Social Security more effective?
- Measures to take to provide better conditions for US veterans.
- Should all prisoners have voting rights or only individuals on probation and those who have already served their sentences?
- What should be done to lower the national debt?
- Should people buy so many things using credit? What can be done to handle the culture of debt?
Art and Music
This list contains the most diverse and varied topics, it’s more relevant to hobbies which will be easy and interesting to write about. If you are looking for a quick topic– write an essay on art and music.
- Should the government invest in funding and grants for up-and-coming musicians and artists?
- Discuss the benefits of art for society and individuals separately
- Which contemporary artists and musicians have had the most impact on you as a person? Explain their impact.
- Does rap music influence the behavior of modern teenagers? Is there a difference between rap of the 90s and modern rap regarding messages for society?
- How did the evolution of 1980s music influence US history?
- The evolution of the film industry post-World War II that shaped the modern era.
- Was the New Wave movement in cinema revolutionary?
- The British music invasion into the US market: an effect on American music.
- The transition from the 50s to 60s fashion.
- Is “Darkness Falls” by Patrick Hughes unique artwork?
When writing a proposal essay, your goal is to propose a few ideas regarding a certain topic, elaborate them, and convince readers to accept them. Picture yourself as a salesperson who has to convince the customer to make a purchase. Use the title ideas above to practice. Also, you can read about connecting ideas in an essay! And never forget to use essay checker!