Academic writing doesn’t revolve around essays only, it extends to research papers too. As you move through different stages of your education, assignments become more demanding and you engage in more projects. Students participate or create their own researches about a certain topic. Not only do you have to publish the entire research, but you also need to create a summary. In most cases, students get an assignment to do a research summary for some other important study. Here, the professor wants to evaluate your skills in formal writing. Regardless of the scenario (your research or some other study), research summary can be a demanding task, but you can make it easier. Scroll down to find out how.
Research Summary Purpose
A research summary is defined as a professional piece of academic writing. The goal of a summary is to describe a research to a prospective audience. Throughout the research summary, an author provides the reader with a brief overview of the whole study.
So, you just have to sum up the original file? Although this seems very easy, research summaries belong to the group of the most demanding academic assignments. To write a high-quality paper, it is crucial to identify the most important information from the research and condense it for a reader (or more of them).
The information you choose has to be explained briefly, but thoroughly. It needs to describe the important revelations from the original file, but in a way that captures reader’s attention. Consider research summary as an introduction to the big research.
How to write a Good Research Summary
Research summary requires a formal approach and needs to be on the level of other academic works. Nervous? Sure, this type of paper requires a great deal of effort, but it’s not the most difficult job in the world. With this checklist and our guide, you’ll learn more about the information you need to include into summary and speed up the process on your own or with our help. Improve your research paper. Raise our grades! Here’s how:
Research Summary Outline (Tips)
- Think about your target audience – golden rule of writing is to always consider your target audience and research summary is not an exception. Why? Different people have different needs and your paper should meet the needs and preferences of the target audience. Ask yourself “who am I writing for?”, write down the answer and you’ll find it easier to pinpoint research articles for the summary
- Save time – research summary requires more time, it’s not something one can finish in an hour. Some students spend 5 or 6 hours summarizing their extensive research. Although dissecting one large work into a small paper takes time, you can finish quicker if you scan the paper from top to bottom prior to the writing process. Read carefully everything you’ve written from the abstract to a conclusion and it will be clearer what to include in the summary. Consider omitting the summary of literature review, but this decision depends on the target audience
- Length – research summaries vary in length. The general rule of thumb is that summary should meet the criteria of no more than 10% of the number of the pages in the original document. In most cases, it takes 2 and 4 pages
- Visual representation – it’s not just about writing a long text and analysis of some subject by using the information you find, both research and its summary need visuals for full effect. Sometimes a simple diagram or graph can say a lot of the information you tried to convey. A common mistake that students make is leaving visuals for the original file and omitting them in the summary. Feel free to include tables, figures, and other visual supplements to this paper too
Research Summary Structure and Organization
- Headline – the first contact between the research summary and a reader is its title. Headline acts as a hook that attracts reader’s attention and makes them want to read the rest of the content. Generally, headlines formed as questions work perfectly. At the beginning of the writing process, it may be tricky to come up with a headline. Instead, create it once you’re done with writing, you’ll have plenty of ideas to use
- What is this research about? (3-5 sentences) – introduce your research and its primary objective. Consider this part as an announcement of some event, you need to provide necessary details to ensure audience understands everything and wants to learn more. Define important terms from the research paper, especially if they aren’t common knowledge. And don’t forget to include the research question
- Methods (5-10 sentences) – research summary (and original file) aren’t just about findings that are of huge interest for the topic, methods also matter. Once you’ve explained the purpose of the research, move on to describe the methodology and elaborate how researchers collected data and include examples of questions that were asked. The section should also include the number of people who completed questionnaires and surveys, the total number of participants in larger studies both eligible ones and those who met the criteria for further research, etc. Ideally, you should never under any circumstances skip the sample size because it suggests how generalizable the findings are
- Findings (5-10 sentences) – this section is unavoidable. After researchers or scientists implemented their methods, what did they discover? Describe key findings from the study itself. Don’t waste your time including every finding from a specific study, just the key points. This saves time and ensures the summary is written in a concise manner. When describing findings, try to be specific. Always use exact information about a number of people who reported/experienced/did something. Use bulleted lists for better organization
- How can you use the research? (3-7 sentences) – describe how findings from the research can be used by practitioners in different fields e.g. education, medicine, or anything else relevant to the topic. Identify who would be interested in the results of the study
- Conclusion (3-4 sentences) – this section tells a reader what he/she needs to know about the research. Basically, this is a short overview of the summary that compiles key points of the study and its finding into a single section. It can be practical to include this section into a highlighted box on the top right-hand side of the first page
- Original research file – a citation and link to the original file
- About researchers – 1-2 sentences short info about each researcher who participated in the study
- References – always cite sources you use while writing, particularly when the paper has a tremendous importance such as research summary
- Keywords – don’t forget to add them if you’re uploading the summary to an online database
- About summary – a short section where you write a few sentences about the team who compiled the summary
Research Summary Help
Now that you know what to include in your summary, our tutorial can proceed to explain how you can write this paper faster. What can we do for you? Where to find help if you want to do the summary on your own? Let’s see.
By Markers Expectations / Rubrics
- Content – research summary should describe the topic, research techniques, and other facts about the original file in a specific manner. No need to go into a great detail, that’s what the big paper is for. Feel free to include at least one sentence about the importance of your research to show how someone can benefit from it. Strive to include not more than three primary keywords when describing your work, if you decide to use keywords of course. The golden rule is that keywords should fit naturally into the text. Our professional writing service creates a well-structured research summary content that highlights the important information to capture reader’s attention
- Clear Organization – the structure of a research summary goes beyond quality content but extends to the way it’s organized. Divide the paper into small paragraphs representing some specific thought or idea. Vary paragraph length to add more rhythm to your paper
- Style – adhere religiously to the guidelines recommended by a professor or school (when applicable), use formal language and plain sentences, avoid passive voice whenever you can. Vary sentence length to avoid writing too many long or short sentences in a row. Meet required word count (if provided) and don’t forget to format your paper. Style and formatting are equally important but largely overlooked. With our help, your research paper will be perfectly styled and formatted to enhance quality of the content
- Coordination with CV – when writing a section about a team who compiled the summary, feel free to include some details from your CV. Think about information about your professional or academic career that reader should know and write it down. You can also name research summary on your CV
- Writing – the process of writing a research summary can take hours. The paper should represent your research perfectly but in a concise and cohesive fashion. Students and researchers can speed up the process in more ways than one. You can hire a professional writing service that will create the summary following the instructions, latest standards, and academic criteria. Our writers have years of experience in research summary writing and know how to approach this type of a paper for maximum efficiency. If you want to write the summary on your own, you can use Edusson’s Magic Help and RobotDon to make the process faster
- Editing – services of editing and proofreading are ideal for students and researchers who just finished writing their summary. One can never be objective toward their own work which makes us overlook typos and other mistakes. Every mistake tarnishes the quality of your paper. Our proofreaders and editors scan and check the research summary to correct grammar and spelling mistakes, punctuation and syntax errors, poor sentence structure, references, you name it
Research Summary FAQ (People -Also Ask)
Who chooses a research summary writer when I submit my order?
You do. Unlike many other professional writer services, Edusson gives the clients full control over the process. Once the order is submitted, writers start sending bids and you (as a client) choose the perfect candidate for your assignment.
Can I trust your writers? A research summary is an important academic paper, after all.
The importance of a well-written research summary is undeniable and your assignment will be in good hands. Edussons takes a professional approach to every assignment, regardless of the type of paper you need to write. We take every task seriously and writers who want to join our collective must meet a set of criteria that prove their skills, knowledge, writing, ability to meet academic requirements and deliver their assignment according to the scheduled deadline. In order to work for us, they have to pass rigorous tests so you can trust them entirely.
Do you protect my privacy and identity?
Customer satisfaction and safety are our main concerns. We employ the latest technologies and rules to protect your privacy. You can breathe easily knowing nobody will know you ordered a paper.
Will you send my research summary to someone else too?
Not at all! Every paper, regardless of the type, is written from scratch and sent to the client immediately. We do not keep or share your personal information and research summary with third parties.
What are your policies regarding plagiarism?
Plagiarism is one of the worst offenses and it is not tolerated. We do not condone such a behavior and always make sure your paper is 100% original and free of plagiarism.
I wrote a research summary on my own, but want to check for plagiarism. Where can I do that?
RobotDon comes to the rescue. Not only does the robot look cute, but he’s a great little helper. The platform allows you to check the paper for plagiarism, sentence structure, and other factors that contribute to the quality of research summary.
Where can I learn more about online services for research summary writing?
Feel free to contact us through live chat feature which is available 24/7. We are going to send a detailed response to your inquiry and provide the information you need.
Job to get done / CTA
The importance of a well-written research summary is tremendous. The paper informs readers about some specific research and how they can use it. When written as an assignment in school, research summary demonstrates one’s ability to write in a formal manner. It also shows your vocabulary skills, level of organization, reporting findings and information in a concise and specific manner, and the overall knowledge and approach to the subject.
Improve your Research Paper
Bearing in mind the importance of a research summary, the use of online tools and services can be of huge help. Our writing and editing services enhance the quality of your research paper in many ways. The paper we write or edit is error-free, has a rhythm that keeps the reader interested, and highlights all the key findings from the original file (yours or someone else’s). The summary is also perfectly styled, formatted, and organized.
Raise your GPA (grade)
Getting much-needed help from online tools and services can boost your grades. Your GPA is incredibly important for further stages of your education and employment. Everything you do as a student can either contribute to your GPA or ruin it. Using tools such as RobotDon to check for plagiarism and structure of research paper or Edusson’s writing or editing services may give you the motivation you need to improve writing skills and boost GPA easily. Improve your research paper. Raise your grades! Don’t risk it.
The Best Articles from Edusson
The Edusson email digest is a weekly summary of the most popular and inspiring essay-related content. We curate the best so you can stay continually informed.