As you already know, there’s a plenty of different essay types concerning different writing styles. All of them have their special features and stylistic requirements, and all of them can make you ask questions like: “What should I do now?” or “Why me?”. Don’t panic, it’s just an academic writing task and there’s nothing incredibly terrific in doing that thing. Brave up, read your task carefully and thoughtfully, get your writing inspiration and break free from these desperate feelings. Everything will be all right.
Let’s consider that your task is to write a cause and effect essay. If you’re not acquainted with such essay type yet and don’t even imagine what and how can be written there –feel convenient to read about essay ideas and hacks for choosing cause and effect essay topics. It goes without saying that besides choosing a topic there are some other nuances we will discuss in this writing guide.
Gathering Ideas for Cause and Effect Essay
The main aim of cause and effect essays is to overview some occasion or action and its consequences. So, in general cause and effect show how one thing can affect another. Seems quite clear and easy but it needs rather good analytical and creative thinking. So if your teacher gave you such task he wants to check not only your knowledge of the question discussed but thinking skills also. In general, one may suggest this essay form to be kind of a test of student’s abilities to define cause and effect.
One of the greatest hints on the way to success and high points in essay writing is the interest of student, sort of motivation and space for developing his ideas into paper. Despite the fact that cause and effect essay looks quite different from, for instance, narrative essay, here you can also ponder of something from subjective point of view. Nevertheless, the brilliance of the narration and sayings should be omitted here. I mean you’d better be selective during the writing process and concentrate on the main idea, you should understand clearly what is cause and effect.
What? Why? How?
So how to write a cause and effect essay? At first, let me tell you about some subtleties. There are few sub-styles of cause and effect essay. It may happen that only a cause should be defined in your essay, or vice versa – only the effects of some actions or events. But usually they are both mentioned, to complete the picture of the issue discussed. If you haven’t written essays previously and hesitate what to do – look through some essay hook examples. You can easily find them on the Internet, and on our website inclusive. It’s not as difficult as it may seem to a freshman, so why not to start?
The questions mentioned in this subheading actually are not random. These are the main cause and effect words. Of course there are really a lot of them, such as the following: so, because, therefore, since, if, then, that, and so on and so forth. You got it. First of all, you should go through the most important phase of your writing – define cause. So this is basically the answer on the first question – what? Describe or briefly mention (I suppose it depends on requirements of your tutor) general points of your cause. If you are writing about some historical events and their consequences – dwell upon main facts, using reliable references and sources. If your topic is more generalized – well, try to be as objective as it possible. Objectivity is your friend in this case. And then you’re just going on further, covering the rest of our questions – why did something happen, and how it affected something or someone. This is the essay outline so far. Still it seems quite easy to resolve, so you’ll definitely be a success.
Brick By Brick
Now you know what to do. And, at least I hope so, you know, why are you doing it. The matter is how you’re going to arrange it. Essay form is not really complicated here. Be consistent in your statements, and don’t forget about your old friend Objectivity, and a friend of her – Logic. If it’s better off this way for you just imagine that you are having a party with these relatively abstract concepts, bring some cookies and tea and have a nice time together, why not. But on that basis there’s no place for overloaded sophisticated phrases and word forms in you creative party, they are not invited. Every essay is worth ten others when there are no difficulties while reading and understanding the text.
It seems like we’ve already mentioned the main features and tasks which are to be done in cause and effect essay. So the rest is up to you – develop it and fulfill as you think it’s necessary in your case. As a little summary for this paragraph I’ll try to point out the most important things which were discussed:
- Cause and effect essay requires the use of analytical and critical thinking, please, pump your skills if you have some malfunctions with that.
- Precision and consistency of the narrative, as in every other (or almost every other) academic writing.
- Cause and effect essay have sub-types, in which cause and effect can be described and discussed separately from each other as individual elements. So be attentive before start, read carefully your task.
- Use of cause and effect words (so, because, therefore, since, if, then, that, etc.). They are necessary in such essays, like indicators.
- This type of academic writing is usually intended to test knowledge of the subject or, once again, the analytical skills of the student. So refresh your awareness in the field of the topic discussed not to be a fool.
- Logical layout is welcomed, but there may be such cases when you need to anticipate the possible consequences by yourself, so here you can use your imagination. Of course, it’s better off without sending the dinosaurs into space on disco ball in accompaniment of Nyan Cat’s theme. But I’m not sure, maybe this variant is not so bad.
Writing Cause and Effect Essay Conclusion
Writing a conclusion to cause and effect essay you can just briefly sum up what you have written before, in short words. Or you can make a short reflection and make some insights based on previously written things. There’s no need in many words, remember about brevity and wit. Try to find the words which will underline the main ideas and statements given above. And… is it the end?
Well, you are actually at the early finish. Having this part of work done commence the essay editing. You can easily do it with the help of the Internet resources which are intended for searching and correcting the mistakes, either grammatical or in spelling. So to make sure that everything is written perfectly well and to get rid of the fear of getting bad marks just use such online helpers, there are really plenty of good ones. Don’t forget that intelligently arranged and well written essay is a pleasure to read, so make yours worth reading.
So, my dear reader, whoever you are! I hope you’ve found something useful while wasting your precious time on reading this modest cause and effect essay writing guide. I think I want to finish this article with several generalized thoughts which may be helpful for your future writing activities.
It doesn’t really matters what is your writing task. The thing is that with creative approach and thinking, you can write almost about anything, and write interestingly. Just remember:
- Participate in your writing process in such way that you yourself will be interested in reading your essay. It may seem difficult for some period of time but after some practice you will understand how it works.
- If the inspiration doesn’t come – don’t force yourself badly, you will get nothing good out of it. Wait for some time until you will feel that you are ready with your thoughts and ideas, and then things will happen by themselves.
- Sometimes it happens that while writing you can overdo something. Write too many unnecessary things or useless information, which still may seem valuable for you because it’s your point of view. There’s nothing bad in spreading your ideas but when writing academic papers we often don’t really have a right for doing things this way. Calm down, reread and rewrite until it feels good enough. It really works.
- Keep in mind that paragraphs are much better when not too big. Approximately ten or twelve lines for one are great. Also, it is good when the number of paragraphs does not exceed five or six. But that’s technical details.
- And the last one. Believe in yourself, even if you are not a literary genius, don’t give a damn. Keep trying, develop your writing skills and feel good about your progress. And it applies not only to writing. But that's another story.