One of the most exciting challenges in a college education is the freedom you get to choose the essay topics on your own. In most cases, it is your professor who determines the topic and gives instructions. Why do we have the option to choose our own essay ideas from time to time?
Professors usually do it in order to see how their students create essays from scratch, without even a title. They want to see how you develop ideas and turn them into arguments using knowledge and methods they taught you. So, you can find on our site college research paper example for creating your own.
While you’re happy with the opportunity to finally write about something you truly want, it can be quite stressful. How to come up with great college essay ideas that will impress the professor? You’ll find out below.
How to come up with an awesome essay idea
You’ll have more success generating college essay ideas when you develop a strategy for this entire process. Following simple steps can make things significantly easier. Here is what you should do:
- Answer the question you want to see answered – one of the easiest ways to come up with a great essay idea is to answer the question you wish to see answered. There must be a topic you are interested in, something you feel passionate about. It is natural to have a lot of questions about different subjects, think about them. Try to answer those questions through an essay. Let’s say you’re interested in the current political situation in the US, but you wonder what is behind the amplified racial outbursts. That can be an incredible essay idea. The same process applies to just about anything, think of topics you are like (or feel passionate about) and try to answer questions that come across your mind
- Group session – you find it difficult to come up with essay ideas on your own? Why not arrange a group brainstorming session? Gaining the thoughts, input, and arguments of your peers can help you think of great essay ideas. Others can benefit as well. What’s more, these group sessions will help all of you avoid writing about exactly the same subject
- Mind map – this is a clever strategy that involves starting with the basic subject (e.g. period, history) and branching out into different categories of the topic. You can also use this strategy to improve some simple ideas you already have. Mind mapping can help you develop those ideas into advanced, proper essay topics and discussions. Just go where your mind takes you
- Write it down – we think of many things during the day and all our thoughts can serve as a source of essay ideas. The problem is that we oftentimes forget about these things. So, whenever you think of something that can be developed into an essay argument, write it down on your phone or a piece of paper. Do this for a few days and you’ll have a list of ideas to choose from
- Brainstorm on your own – besides brainstorming in a group, you can do it on your own as well. The most important rule here is that you shouldn’t reject any idea for being “silly” or “stupid”. Even the simplest of ideas can be improved into true academic essays
- Generic – although this isn’t something you want, it’s a viable option in instances when you can’t think of other ideas. Go for the generic topic, but this time you can choose your own approach to discuss it. Just because the topic is generic it doesn’t mean the essay will be bad. It all comes down to how you develop the subject
Now that you know how to create college essay ideas on your own, here are a few suggestions that can simplify the process. In order, you can find proposal essay ideas on our site. You can use these titles for your essay, come up with your own ideas using them as an example, or make some tweaks to adapt them into your approach to the specific topic.
- Activity is the only way to knowledge. Justify the claim!
- All individuals who are old enough to vote should have to do a test that analyzes their mental stability and capacity. Only those that pass should be able to vote. Agree or disagree?
- An open society should have open borders. Agree or disagree?
- Are actors and professional athletes overpaid?
- Are computer games a benefit or a pure waste of time?
- Are we too dependent on computers?
- Be mindful of your thoughts, they are the start of the actions. Elaborate!
- Books vs. computers and technology. Who’s going to win in the future?
- Can we trust scientific studies if we bear in mind scientists are constantly arguing about everything? Two studies on the same subject have different findings. How do those constant insecurities affect average person?
- Everything that happened in the past, will be repeated again. Why?
- How does fashion influence our culture?
- How Game of Thrones depicts real-world struggles and situations?
- If you had the opportunity to bring any person — past or present, fictional or nonfictional — to a place that is special to you (your hometown or country, a favorite location, etc.), who would you bring and why? Describe what you would share with that person
- Is fashion important?
- Is it okay to use animals for testing beauty other products?
- Is the death penalty justified?
- Love is always difficult; it is a mixture of sexual and spiritual attraction. Elaborate!
- Man is not a thing but a creature that can only be understood in the long process of development. Justify!
- Many parents give their children certain chores or tasks to do at home. Should children have to do these chores or tasks? Explain why you think the chores are a good/bad idea. Use examples to support your argument!
- Many people think the best way to travel is by car, is it?
- Military service should be mandatory
- Most high-level jobs are done by men. Should the government encourage a certain percentage of these jobs to be reserved for women?
- Nature creates a human, but the society develops and forms him. Justify!
- Nature is not a temple but a workshop, and a man is its worker. Elaborate!
- Negotiations with the tourists should not be allowed. Is it okay for locals to charge tourists more for same products and services that citizens of some country get for a much lower price?
- Our everyday needs are growing not only due to urgent necessity but because of capricious desires.
- People will be miserable without the society
- Political fortress is strong only if it is based on a moral force. Justify!
- Pros and cons of space research
- Science experiments quickly reduce our quality of life
- Science is the truth multiplied by the question. Elaborate?
- Should money be spent on space exploration?
- Should more be done to protect and preserve endangered animals?
- Should students be allowed to grade their teachers?
- Should students be allowed to have cell phones in elementary and high schools?
- Should students’ textbooks be replaced by notebook computers?
- Should teachers have to wear uniforms or have a dress code just like students in some schools?
- Should the education for boys and girls be separate?
- Should the government place a tax on junk food and fatty snacks?
- Should the voting age be lowered to thirteen?
- Should wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations?
- Since the invention of nuclear weapons, we have had a long period of global peace and stability. Are nuclear weapons global peacemakers or killing devices?
- Technical progress leads to the death of civilization. How?
- Television is creating a new variant of culture
- The animal never comes to such a terrible fall, as a man does. Justify!
- The destruction of the world’s forests is inevitable as our need for land and food grows. Agree or disagree?
- The FDA plans to limit the amount of nicotine in cigarettes. Will this decision help lower the rate of teenage smokers?
- The person should have the freedom of choice. Why?
- The senior classes should be profiled
- The United Nations are meant to help and protect people from different parts of the world. They’re not doing their job properly. Elaborate!
- The United Nations should enhance the protection of cultural rights
- The will and desire cannot be mixed
- There is an inextricable link between man and nature. Agree?
- To what extent is the use of animals in scientific research acceptable?
- Unemployment contributes to the economic development. Agree or disagree?
- We live in the age when different people are trying to twist and alter historical facts and the truth. What could be the consequences of those actions? Why altering the historical truth should not be permitted to anyone?
- What age is appropriate for dating?
- What are the factors of a good movie, in your opinion?
- Zoos are sometimes seen as necessary, not poor alternatives to a natural environment. Discuss some of the arguments for and/or against keeping animals in zoos
Don’t feel stressed out when you are supposed to come up with essay idea. Everything around you, every thought that comes to your mind, every little thing you hear or see can serve as an idea that you can turn into essay argument. You just have to use your imagination and see where it will take you. Follow our tips for generating essay ideas or use these titles as guidelines and you’ll do an amazing job. Remember, that you can always take advantage of essay checker and take time to look our post about cheating in college!