Examining the War on Drugs and Its Impact: Unveiling the Illusion
Reagan’s Hidden Agenda in the War on Drugs
President Ronald Reagan’s administration has come out admitting that the “War on Drugs wasn’t about drugs, but about abolishing those that opposed the government, the anti-war lefts and blacks” (Coyne and Hall). So has this Drug War failed, or accomplished exactly what the government wanted? If causing countless problems within your own country for the benefit of the small few is winning, then that is your answer. The original reason for the War on Drugs has failed immensely, only bringing corruption and economic distress to the country as a whole.
Unmasking the Truth: A Deeper Dive
At this time there isn’t much that is academically written about the behind-the-scene reasons the War on Drugs was started. As prevalent of a problem that it is today, I am changing that and will research deeper into the meaning, cause, and repercussions of the defeat of the United States’ War on Drugs.
Order your custom essay on
Since first learning about the awful effects the War on Drugs has caused, I’ve wanted to dig deeper behind it and it looks like it’s only downhill from here. There seems to be a lot of different motives that aren’t surface level, from audience manipulation by speeches to taking rights and freedoms away from the people to distracting everyone from more serious issues. I think this essay will allow me to find out what is at the bottom of it all, and what pulls me into finding it.
Prospective Outline for Unveiling the War on Drugs
- A Hook about a surprising fact
- Tentative Thesis: The original reason for the War on Drugs has failed immensely, only bringing corruption and economic distress to the country as a whole.
Narratio – History of the term “War on Drugs”
- 1970’s and the War on Drugs
- Ronald Reagan and his wife grew on Nixon’s drug policies, and in 1986 passed the Anti-Drug Abuse Act, which established mandatory minimum prison sentences for certain drug offenses.
- War on Drugs in 21st Century
Origins and Intentions
- Why was the War on Drugs started?
- War on Drugs in the 21st Century.
Pros and Cons of the War
- Potential Benefits of a War on Drugs
- Cons of a War on Drugs
- Economic Problems
Looking Forward: Solutions and Proposals
- Future possibilities or solutions
- Use the money from the taxes to make stronger education on it while also establishing quality rehabilitation and health/mental health services.
- Coyne, C.J. and Hall, A.R. (2019). “The War on Drugs Was Born 50 Years Ago,” Mises Institute. Retrieved from https://mises.org/wire/war-drugs-was-born-50-years-ago
- Hawdon, J. (2011). “Organizational Factors and Police Corruption in Drug-Related Operations,” Journal of Drug Issues, 41(4), 571-593. doi:10.1177/002204261104100402